About this Blog

RYT-200 trained in Rishikesh, India.
Born and raised in Oklahoma, USA.
India travel, yoga philosophy, Sanskrit language, and more.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tips for Completing the India Online Visa Application Form

Long title, but a short post! There are just a few things to think about when filling out this form.

I filled out the online form three times before having a satisfactory application that I (hope) won't be rejected. Why three times? Well, read my tips below and find out!
  1. Read the sample form and its helpful comments first
  2. Read this guy's helpful article second
  3. Read my tips
I'm applying on a tourist visa but I'm headed to India for my yoga certification. This is okay to do! Don't lie on your application but do phrase things smart. Don't raise any red flags that might get your request denied.
  • Don't put "Cameraman," journalist, writer, reporter, or anything remotely journalist-y for your occupation on the form. I put fitness instructor (and not yoga teacher) just in case they would be suspicious about my reasons for coming. I was a student once, so I put former occupation as "Student." Don't put unemployed, I've heard.
  • I did NOT put Goa, Mysore, or Rishikesh on my list of places I'd be visiting. No need to raise red flags. I put "Agra" and "Delhi" for me.
  • Put the city AND state where your parents were born. Slipped my mind the first time around.
  • Your reference in India must have, according to BLS, a street and the 6-digit zip/post code specification. Just to be safe I used a hostel in Delhi (that I may or may not stay at) just to play it safe. I had to really search hard to find an actual address for a hostel in Delhi...!
    • Name: Pulkit Katyal
    • Address: Hotel The Spot
      867-868 Pahar Ganj New Delhi 110055
    • Phone: +91-11-23580168
  • If you go back and edit your application be careful as some fields will reset to YES and can wreck your application (you don't have Pakistani grandparents, do you?).
  • Save your application as PDF, keeping and noting the filename. The first twelve characters of it (starting with USA and ending just before AA) constitute your application number.
  • Sign the front page, just below your photograph
  • Sign the back page where indicated
  • PASTE a photograph, don't clip or tape it to the application.
After that, read my tips on actually applying for your visa with BLS here. I hope that helps, and let me know what worked for you!

नमस्ते!

No comments:

Post a Comment