About this Blog

RYT-200 trained in Rishikesh, India.
Born and raised in Oklahoma, USA.
India travel, yoga philosophy, Sanskrit language, and more.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Sanskrit Friday: Tiger (व्याघ्र)

Namaste, friends!

I've moved to Tulsa, OK and teach yoga very regularly here now, so now that I'm kinda established I wanted to bring you my new weekly feature: Sanskrit Friday!

Today's word is व्याघ्र. It's pronounced vyāghra (vyah-ghruh) and means tiger! You see this word used in combination with असन (asana, or pose) to make व्याघ्रासन, or tiger pose. Total Yoga has a nice explanation of Tiger Pose, although I would recommend keeping your toes pulled back instead of pointing but either is fine.

You've got one Sanskrit word under your belt! For tips on learning how to read and write in Sanskrit in its native script, read my post here.

Thank you! Until next week.


Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment